Instructions for graduates: how to write a research paper and get excellent mark
July 12, 2018
Research is the experience of the student’s independent work. This problem is relevant for students in the upper grades. The study of the algorithm of writing work is not only an interesting and cognitive process, but also a work that allows determining the possibility of the manifestation of creativity in writing and design. In the course of studying this issue it becomes clear that the design of the research work cannot be deviated from the generally accepted rules, and the creative approach is welcomed within reasonable limits, in the case of the first experience of writing it. Also work on this topic allows you to learn how to use additional literature and systematize the selected material.
Choice of the topic and essence of the work
The choice of the topic of the study is determined by the subjects of the courses studied, the research interests of the student, his prospective specialization in the future. The topic can be subsequently deployed to the project.
Research should demonstrate:
• sufficient theoretical knowledge on a particular topic;
• Ability to work with scientific, educational and reference literature;
• Possession of the student’s research skills;
• the ability to generalize and systematize material on a selected topic;
• the ability to formulate the scientific apparatus of work;
• the ability to logically and competently present the material. Stages of preparation and writing of work
Stages of preparation and writing work
1. Preparation for work includes:
o The choice of the topic.
o Definition of the subject and object of the study (which is best done together with the supervisor).
o Definition of goals and objectives of the work.
o Statement of the hypothesis.
o Drawing up an indicative work plan. At this stage, consultations with the research supervisor are needed in order to clarify the direction of work.
2. Working with literature is:
o Studying sources, studies, publications on the topic.
o A summary of the literature studied.
o Analysis and systematization of materials.
o Selection of arguments, citations from the literature, which will be given in the course work.
3. The formulation of the concept of work is:
o Formulation of the main theses.
o Thinking about the logic of presenting your position.
o Edit the plan.
o Distribution of material by parts of the plan.
4. The work must be done in accordance with the requirements for such work. It is important to pay attention to lexical processing of the text and style of presentation.
Preparation should begin in advance, having distributed stages by days, that is, systematizing the approach. This will ensure the best results, leave time for editing and correction of errors made during the study. With this approach, it becomes possible to find more literature on the topic and to make it as detailed as possible.
Requirements for research work (content aspect)
1. The selected topic should be problematic (to have ambiguous interpretations in the literature, insufficiently developed in practice, to cause certain difficulties in practical management, etc.).
2. The material should be selected according to the theme.
3. The available points of view on the given problem are indicated and briefly analyzed.
4. The student should reasonably support any point of view, or present his position on the basis of an analysis of the available points of view.
5. The work should have the logic in the presentation of the material, interview the scientific style.
Requirements for design research work
This stage is no less important than all previous and subsequent ones, it is he who is responsible for the success of the work as scientific work, since the requirements proposed for the design of work are standard and binding and distinguish it from abstracts and other free wording of texts.
So, the requirements:
• Correct design of the title page
• Content (in the form of a detailed plan with a list of structural elements of the work: introduction, parts and paragraphs, conclusion and list of literature with the pages of each element).
• The wording of chapter and paragraph names should be duplicated in the text.
• Footnotes can be either a subscript or a text.
o Sample of footnote: “The process of making a managerial decision is a definition of the purpose and program of action at each moment of management.”
o Sample footnote: “An organizational culture should be understood as a set of values and norms of organizational behavior adopted at a given enterprise” (4, 159)
4 – the number of the source in the list of literature, 159 – the page number.
• Only generally accepted abbreviations are allowed.
• It is recommended to organize the literature according to the headings:
o Publications (journal and newspaper articles)
o Educational and reference literature
o Regulatory sources